Friday, May 4, 2012

May 6-10, 2012 Quiet Time Series



DAY 6
HE REFUSED TO DRINK IT
Matthew 27:34, Luke 9:23-25

The Greek word, found in Matthew 27:34, correlates with the myrrh of Mark 15:23. It was a bitter resin added to the analgesic potion given to criminals before crucifixion to deaden their pain. Jesus refused the wine offered him on the cross because it was drugged. (From the NIV Compact Dictionary of the Bible by J.D. Douglas and Merrill C. Tenney)

Ever since I was in high school, I always had severe abdominal pain during my monthly menstruation. Usually I would not be able to stand at all and I would be vomiting in pain. In order for me to go to school or work and do what I needed to do for the day, I got used to drinking pain relievers. Unknowingly, I adopted this in the way I handle trials and challenges. I would always choose an easier path, a path where I would not feel so much pain. I was a people-pleaser, conflict-avoider and passive about concerns around me. A radical life, a life on the edge was nowhere in my heart.

There is a way for us to drink pain relievers when we face challenges and that is by avoiding, by running away, by closing our eyes and ears, by hardening our hearts, by staying in our comfort zones, by getting used to and numb about our sins of omission, by not denying ourselves… by not carrying our cross daily. When it comes to sharing our faith, do we take a pain reliever by avoiding, staying quiet and saying “I’ll share some other time, but not now.”? When it comes to others in need, do we close our eyes, ears and hearts and pretend nothing happened? When it comes to encouraging others, do we harden our hearts and think that we have troubles of our own? Are we passive about righteousness and prefer not to be involved? Is it too painful to confess and get the correction we need and so choose to keep our sin a secret? What other pain relievers are we taking today?

Jesus refused to drink the wine mixed with gall. He refused to be relieved of the pain that He was feeling. He endured the pain of the cross. This is how special and important we are to God! Jesus was willing to suffer, to be inconvenienced, humiliated and in pain for us.

How about us? Let us not give up. Let us persevere and continue to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily! And so as we face CROSSROADS each day, let us choose to be Radical, Overcoming And Dedicated Servants of the Cross.

January Samson

DAY 7
THANK GOD FOR OUR FRIENDS
Ecclesiastes 4:9-312
We never run out of blessings from God everyday. Having friends with you is a blessing we often fail to count.

Friends for me are the instruments of God to make us feel His presence and care all the time. They are very significant in our lives. Some of us can’t find the love from their own family. Thank God for our friends that we find the love and support we lack.
Rowena Digal

DAY 8
DECISION
James 2:17

Last April 7, 2012, the title of the quiet time was “Satan Doesn’t Mind Bible Study Never Applied”. It points on the words that should be put into action. So, with this I decided to practice what I learned from the Bible (James 1:22). Thank God for His constant reminders.

But Satan has his own creative way to tempt us not to carry them into reality. Yes I have a decision to be humble but Satan is prideful, so it is hard to be humble. Yes I have a decision to be godly but Satan is worldly, so it is hard to be godly. I have a decision to build friendships but Satan wants to build a wall, so it is hard to build friendships.

I just remembered James 2:19, “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder.”

Yes, I have decisions.  I believe in my decisions.  I believe that there is God in my decisions. But if I will not apply them in my life, especially in the real-life situations, I am just like the demon who believes and shudders. Just until there-believe and shudder but with no power to put them into action.

Let us therefore make it a daily decision to stay faithful and close to God so we can fight of the temptations of Satan and overcome! We have God on our side. 
Irene Glinogo


DAY 9
LEAVE JUDGING TO GOD
Deuteronomy 1:17

It is human-like to be a prejudice. We can be experts in giving our own “say” to a situation without examining and being fair to the persons involved. We can be self-righteous especially when we see that a person is at fault. We can automatically think that that person is bad and sometimes we condemn. But do we really know the deepest reason of that mistake? What if that person is left with no choice?

We should never be impartial to prevent hurting someone. Or, we should not judge at all. Leave this serious stuff to God. We only need to understand and to accept. I remember a cliché that goes: “The kindest words on earth are those unkind words that are never said.” Better to be quiet than to hurt.
Ruby Digal

DAY 10
DEEPENING OUR LOVE-LIFE WITH GOD
John 14:15

It is in my heart’s desire to share with you what I have learned when Jesus Promised the Holy Spirit.

“If you love me, you will obey what I command.” (John 14:15)

One way to increase our love for God is to express our love by doing even little things day by day. While doing this Quiet Time Series, I was reminded of the song way back in my college days: “Deep Down in my Heart.”

I want to be like Jesus, deep down in my heart
Say deep, deep, say down, down, say deep,
Down, down in my heart.
I want to be discipled…
I want to share my faith…

Deep down in my heart, I want to deepen my love-life with Him by obeying his commands.
Betty Belmonte