Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Colorful Life With God

Every person has a story to tell. Allow me to share with you the amazing story of God’s loved for me. Today, I am celebrating 15 years in my relationship with God.

I was born in Cebu and growing up was very challenging because of poverty. As the eldest, even at an early age, I took care of my five siblings so that my parents can go to work. I haven’t enjoyed my “freedom” as a child to play with the others kids and so I only had a few friends. I grew up full of insecurities about myself, my status in life and my physical appearance. These created bitterness and a timid and religious character in me.

After high school, I went away from home to serve as a house-help of other families in exchange for my college education. I learned a lot of vices such as gambling, going to discos, drinking & getting drunk, having an impure relationship and many more…. But I was determined to finish my studies. This led me to become prideful, boastful and independent person.

In college, I met a former classmate who invited me to a bible study. I sought the real meaning of life and longed to have a true relationship with God. God saw my heart and He knew the very sins I have hidden. Despite my religiosity, I was not freed from hatred, bitterness, vices, impurities and all. But God is awesome. He came at the perfect time. I came face to face with the cross of Jesus and realized how sinful I am before God. My sins had crucified Jesus and yet God loves me. Without hesitation I decided to follow Jesus and was baptized last February 23, 1997.

Life was never the same again. God has helped me overcome my insecurities day by day. I now understand that I need to appreciate all that I have rather than dwell with what I don’t have. I have learned to enjoy life to the fullest. I don’t need to be insecure because I am wonderfully and beautifully made by God. Though I thought of poverty as a hindrance toward success, now it has become a stepping stone for me to work harder and attain my dreams not only for myself but also for my family and for God’s church. Through God’s family all over the world, I built great and spiritual friendships. God also blessed me with many opportunities to serve Him back then in His Church in Cebu. And since May 2008, God has called me even higher as a missionary here in Bohol. It is very fulfilling to be able to serve our Almighty Father.

But being away from home has its challenges. I have to leave behind my comforts in life and pay for my own house rental, meals and bills. I had to adjust to a new environment and a new people. Due to my age, looking for a job was tough. Through this, God taught me perseverance and He gave me strength and hope. When I finally found a job, I had to go back to Cebu for six months to be trained. Every weekend, I had to travel back and forth Cebu and Bohol. It was very tiring physically and financially. There were times when I had to face a bad weather while at sea. I experienced being hungry and with nothing in my pocket except five pesos. But I survived it all because God is with me. He helped me see the brighter side of my sufferings and encouraged me through the disciples and His Word in the Bible.

God is my ever present help in times of trouble. When I’m down, He renews and strengthens me day by day. Through these, God has molded me even more in dealing with my character – He has changed me for the better. In 2010, God did wonderful things in my life. One of these was when I was able to join the International Singles Conference in Manila despite my financial difficulties. I got a lot of help from my brothers and sisters in the Church worldwide. I was in awe of God for He allowed me to see this miracle.

Last year 2011, I went through a new challenge. I easily got sick and was on medication. I had a cyst in my breast and polycyst in my uterus. My faith in God was tested once again. I fought not to linger too long or worry about my health. God is with me. He provides for all my needs financially and emotionally. He blessed me with friends and a family to pray for and encourage me. And true enough, God answers prayers. Early this month, I had a follow up ultrasound of my uterus. The result…? There was no more polycyst found in the test. Definitely God works! He had granted me healing and another miracle.

Now at my age of 35, I am happily single because of God. Though I am far from my family, God allowed me to continue loving & supporting them in any way I can. And now God gave me an opportunity to serve Him and lead in the Singles Ministry. It is truly great to dream for God’s glory. I enjoy my life here in Bohol, in spite of the many challenging situations and so I say “life is full of fun & adventure.” I am excited & faithful that God will continue to fulfill his dreams for me, for His Church, my career and my dating life in His perfect time. Surely, with both challenges and blessings, I can never handle these by my own. It is only with God that I have the strength. To God be the glory!