Thursday, February 16, 2012

February 2012 Quiet Time Series

DAY 17

LOVE CAN HURT AT TIMES

Matthew 7:1-5

How do I know that someone loves me? Will it be because that person is thoughtful, encouraging or kind to me? Yes perhaps these qualities describe a person who loves me.

As a disciple, I learned that love is beyond the pleasant things that I expected. In God’s family, my brothers and sisters love me enough to take the speck from my eyes. I am not a perfect person but they love me so much that they want to present me perfect in Christ. They helped me to grow in my character and be Christ-like. They told me the things that I needed to grow and change. They corrected me and “discipled” me (teaching me to obey everything thing that Jesus commanded). And a few times, they rebuked me. Was I hurt by their words? Yes, I was hurt and at that time, I did not understand. But it was a different hurt – I felt loved at the same time. I felt a spank from God as He embraced me and assured me that He loves me so much to show me the correct path towards Him… through the disciples in my life.

Yes, they too are not perfect and it is a challenge in Matthew 7:5 that they too need to first remove the plank from their own eyes. But for me that really doesn’t matter. I just need to humbly accept the “discipling” in my life. I am eternally grateful for the unique but true love in God’s family!

“Do not judge.” and “First take the plank out of your own eye.” These are two of the commands of Jesus that we need to obey. It is our responsibility to God. But it doesn’t end here for it also states “… and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” As a family… members of God’s family, I believe it is not about being on red alert or on the guard for the “judges” or who is right and wrong among us. But I believe it is about loving each other enough to help each other – disciple each other (teach obedience to everything thing that Jesus commanded us) and be willing and humble to accept discipling.

Love can hurt at times but it is for our good... our eternal good.

January Samson